Director of Medical Surgical - Medical/Surgical
BASIC FUNCTION: Ensures administration, management, and provision of clinical services of the department. Ensures compliance with certification and accreditation standards in accordance with Amberwell Hiawatha policies and procedures.
SHIFT DAYS/HOURS: This position has 24/7 accountability of the department. Typical work week is M-F with day-time hours. Occasional nights or weekends may be required to effectively supervise and manage staff. Subject to change based on business necessity.
Education: Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas. BSN required. Advanced degree preferred.
Experience: At least two years of previous experience working as a nurse in a similar nursing care environment. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Certificates, License, Registrations: BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC, NRP, STABLE
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to communicate with persons of various backgrounds in a tactful courteous manner. Must have comprehensive knowledge of nursing theory and practice and be able to incorporate such knowledge in all conditions. Applicant must have the ability to maintain patient and hospital confidentiality. Maintain compliance with HIPAA and patient confidentiality.
Physical: Medium Work: Exerting 20 to 50 pounds occasionally or 10 to 25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Supervision Received: Chief Nursing Officer, Chief Executive Officer
Supervision Exercised: Professional & non-profession nursing staff and other assisting personnel in the nursing department
Other:Patients ranging in age from neonatal to pediatric, adolescent to adults, adult to mothers, geriatrics, families, physicians, ancillary personnel and the general public.
EXPOSURE TO HAZARDS: To reduce job hazards, this position is responsible for wearing PPE during job functions. PPE can include: gloves, gown/coat, shoe covers, head/face, eye and ear protection. Each job function requires a different level of PPE, individuals receive initial and annual training to identify the appropriate level of PPE required This position is classified by OSHA as a Class I position and will be exposed to odors, infections and bodily fluids.
EQUIPMENT USED: Telemetry, defibrillator-pacemaker, fluid warmer, warming blankets, IV pumps, EKG machine, bladder scanner, glucometer and other equipment deemed necessary in the care of the patient.
1. Ensures that the department managed complies with all certifications, accreditation, and licensing standards.
2. Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures and interprets them to personnel, patients, medical staff and the public
3. Develops annual budget, anticipating needs, trends and staffing requirements.
4. Maintains accurate records, reports and pertinent statistical data regarding services provided and performs a continual needs analysis and evaluation of the Nursing Department.
5. Develops, implements, and monitors ongoing quality assurance program for the Nursing Department. Creates PACE forms to document quality projects and maintains quality calendars for the department.
6. Supervises Nursing personnel, insuring they provide patient care and treatment according to Hospital Policies and Procedures.
7. Maintains correct and continuous identification of all patients. Works with the nursing staff to provide guidance in proper documentation in the electronic health record and any other patient documentation
8. Ensures accurate consents and releases prior to treatment and emergency treatment.
9. Makes recommendations to the CNO, CFO, CEO, and Medical Staff regarding the purchase of new equipment and necessary to maintain a high level of patient care.
10. Ensures that equipment is maintained in optimum working condition
11. Attends nurse executive, peer review, nurse manager meetings. Attends other meetings as necessary.
12. Maintains a high level of professional competency by keeping abreast of current visitors, and patients, and maintains a neat appearance at all times
13. Works together with the Chief Nursing Officer on hiring, orienting, evaluating and disciplining all departmental personnel in accordance with Amberwell Hiawatha policies and procedures.
14. Completes department staffing schedule and ensures that the department is staffed at a level safe for quality patient care.
15. Teaches and instructs patients and family in patient care.
16. Supervises charting of patient electronic health record and other documentation.
17. Functions as a staff nurse when needed and is a clinical expert in the department on all equipment, standards, policies and procedures.
18. Communicates in an effective and courteous manner with all facility personnel, visitors and patients and always maintains a neat and professional appearance.
19. Other duties as assigned.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Hiawatha Community Hospital
300 Utah Street
Hiawatha, KS 66434